The network topology team is looking for an energetic, creative, and experienced research scientist with a solid background in operations research to join our team.
The Topology team determines where to place new buildings for Amazon fulfillment, how many to build, and many details of how those facilities hold and move inventory. The facilities range from 26 acre Fulfillment Centers holding millions of units of inventory to the building down the street that fulfills Prime Now orders within an hour. Each year Amazon invests billions on these facilities, so even a 1% improvement in return on these investments has a huge financial impact. We are a multi-functional team of Software Engineers, Operations Research scientists, Business Intelligence Engineers and Product Managers, and we develop large-scale simulations (using production systems), Mixed Integer optimizations, Machine Learning, Statistical, and Economic models. On this team, you will research, develop, and deploy decision support products for business teams across the company. You will own the science under the models, and be responsible for new ways to model emerging operational concepts. The logistics problems we solve are unparalleled in terms of their business complexity, scale, and the pace at which we are expanding. Our research scientists collaborate with the transportation planning, routing, central economics, and geo-spatial modeling communities at Amazon. In this role, you will be part of a large, active, and mutually supporting research scientist community in the supply chain optimization technologies (SCOT) organization.
The successful candidate will be a person who enjoys system modeling, working with stakeholders to discover driving factors and key interactions and bringing clarity to complex decisions. This position offers opportunity for immediate impact through extending our existing models, developing models for new concepts, and improving performance and fidelity through testing and analysis. We are involved in some of the biggest decisions at Amazon, driving robustly optimal solutions to near term capacity expansion and shaping the long term road map for the future global network. We cover the full research life cycle from discovery to prototyping to deploying mature decision support tools. You will need to be able to communicate clearly about your work to influence the direction and scope of the research needed to drive data driven decisions.
- Apply knowledge of optimization and heuristic approaches to formulate models, modify constraints, understand trade-offs, and improve performance.
- Support hypothesis testing of new operational and topology concepts in simulation, experimental, and production environments.
- Test and validate models at each stage of their life cycle.
- Collaborate with other operations research scientists and economists from the finance, operations, and transportation teams as well as leaders in Prime Now and other fast growing businesses
- Interact with software teams across various organizations to develop an understanding of their services and processes.
- Apply the acquired knowledge and business judgment to build decision-support and operational tools to improve solution quality and fidelity.
- Identify areas with potential for improvement and work with internal teams to generate requirements that can realize these improvements.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to early career scientists.
- Communicate effectively with senior leaders as well as with colleagues from computer science, research science, and business backgrounds.