Want to work on a product that can:
- Backup hundreds of TBs of customer tables in seconds
- Replicate tables across continents
- Encrypt PBs of data with no performance degradation
DynamoDB is a fully managed NoSQL serverless database that does all this and more !!
DynamoDB provides fast and predictable performance (millisecond latencies for reads and writes) with seamless scalability. DynamoDB receives tens of millions of read and write requests per second to databases that are hundreds of TBs in size.
We are already one of the biggest distributed database systems in the world. That being said, we believe it is still Day 1 for DynamoDB and our aspirations are to grow this product by 10x in the next 2 years. We are looking for deeply technical, team first mentality individuals who are willing to commit themselves to this aspiration.
As a manager on the Control Plane team, you will be responsible for forging a strategy to provide a service that automatically adapts to customer access patterns, while at the same time reducing cost of ownership (single tenant experience, at multi-tenant prices). Our services are responsible for distributing the customer data between thousands of machines in order to ensure availability of capacity when the customer needs it, while at the same time maximizing our HW utilization. In this role, you will hire and lead a database software development team responsible for designing, implementing and running new services, as well lead engineering and architectural efforts aimed at meeting our insatiable customer demand. You will own the design, development, testing and deployment of these database services. You will draw from a deep and broad technical expertise to mentor engineers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues. You will manage and be responsible for delivering some of our most strategic technical projects, deliver large scalable systems, design new software systems at the cutting edge of distributed database technology and have a significant bottom-line impact on our business and competitive position.
This position within the Database Services org represents a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast growing business and help shape the technology, product and the business. A successful candidate will bring deep technical and software expertise, strong business acumen and judgment, ability to define visionary, ground breaking products, ability to hire and lead a team, desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact. Position Responsibilities:
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
- Hire, mentor and lead a database software development team.
- Lead design, implementation, and deployment of successful highly distributed, large scale services.
- Responsible for identifying, commissioning and leading work on most complex, large-scale systems that have a major impact on the entire company.
- Serve as a lead on demanding, multi-team, cross-functional projects.
- Actively participate in hiring talented people and assist in the career development of others both on and outside your team, mentoring individuals and helping other managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Play a critical role in the broad business planning, working closely with senior executives to develop business targets and resource requirements. Help form long-term technical and business strategy and goals.
- Demonstrate high levels of creativity and right judgments, most of the time.
- Understand business context to decisions made within and across groups.
- Maintain a current understanding of industry and technology trends.
- Contribute to Amazon's Intellectual Property through patents and/or external publications.