Amazon’s Data Centers are industry leading examples of innovation in the areas of space utilization, energy efficiency, and cost effectiveness. We are known for our speed to market and reliability. We are the global team responsible for the design and operation of critical industry leading Data Center facilities throughout the world. Our Engineers are on the forefront of creating and delivering the most innovative products to our customers; and are known for being a diverse and upbeat team that is changing the face of Cloud Computing. We continue to grow and are looking for individuals that can support our speed to market, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning. Amazon’s work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate. If you are a creative, smart, and driven individual that enjoys working with complex problems, we want YOU!
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a Field Engineer with an Electrical Engineering background to become part of a global engineering team, responsible for the design and continuous innovation of our rapidly expanding data center fleet. As engineers at Amazon, we are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers via our resilient designs and cost effective systems. As one of our Field Engineers, you will work directly with our Construction, Operations, and Commissioning teams at the Data Centers within your assigned region to analyze problems with the existing fleet and implement solutions specific to your region, and across the global fleet. You will be the engineering representative for each issue. Other groups will look to you for engineering based solutions. Since we worked hard to develop a large scale fleet of Data Centers and drive continuous advancements and improvements within our designs, we will look to you to provide suggestions for improving the costs/performance/simplicity of our equipment and system designs. This will include reviewing existing designs and contributing your field experience to work with the Design Engineering team to develop new systems and equipment. In addition, as a Field Engineer, you will directly support construction and be a part of the process from site selection review through commissioning and, ultimately, site turnover. Amazon has a global presence, therefore, domestic and international travel will be necessary up to 25% of your time. Team work is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required tasks. This includes working with internal groups as well as external suppliers and consultants, including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
If you have an understanding of the critical equipment needs for large infrastructure mission critical sites and equipment; especially data centers, and understand the constructability of varying designs, you may be a good fit. Responsibilities
The Field Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Understand the design and functionality of the Data Centers within your assigned Region
- Provide direct influence over all designs for construction of new Data Centers as well as legacy Data Center upgrades
- Drive the Design Engineering team’s standards and specifications
- Work with internal teams to trouble shoot problems and conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Action (CA) for design related problems
- Work with local utility companies to understand and coordinate site utility requirements
- Work with local agencies having jurisdiction to ensure compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes
- Work with commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical/mechanical systems
- Define project scopes and provide support during construction phases
- Review and approve equipment submittals
- Support of Operations including failure mode and root cause analysis, maintenance and troubleshooting support, best practices, maintenance initiatives and operating procedure review
- Interface with internal data center design teams, server hardware teams, environmental health and safety teams to promote standards that maintain consistency and reliability in services delivered
- Provide audits for power and mechanical capacity or upgrades
- Travel for site review and conduct engineering evaluations, audits, and site launches
- Work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions
- Be a leader within the group as well as within other teams
- Be positive and always offer creative, out of the box solutions
- Have fun and work hard!
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.