Amazon is building the next generation software, hardware, and processes that will run the global network of fulfillment centers that move many millions of units of inventory, employ tens of thousands of people, and ensure that customers get what they want when we promised we would get it to them. We do this by building automated solutions to handle things that technology does well, while relying on people to handle things that humans do well. We are constantly innovating in the ways we are automating and accelerating the delivery of products and packages which includes building custom hardware and applying robotics, autonomy, supply chain optimization, machine learning, manipulation, image processing, and real-time data processing using distributed systems.
Rapid technology advances are evident in each of the individual technology areas listed above. The challenge here is how to combine them into “end-to-end” highly automated systems for receiving, through inventory storage, and order fulfillment spanning single and multiple facilities comprising the Amazon supply chain. This is an exciting opportunity to join the team focused on conception, development, and optimization of Amazon’s future highly automated systems.
We are seeking an experienced Development Manager who will be responsible for the following:
1. Assemble a set of end-to-end automation configuration options, based on vision, concepts, and development projects in the current pipeline, including both new technologies at individual process steps and new architectures for integrating them together. Integrate cross functional inputs from across Amazon Design and Engineering, Fulfillment Technology, Robotics, Supply Chain, and Operations teams.
2. Build and use quantitative models to validate flow and storage capacities for nominal and high stress conditions at peak and shifts in mix. Models will have sufficient detail to enable quantitative evaluation of performance KPI’s, with unit process performance based on operational, experimental, or more detailed simulation as required.
3. Evaluate configuration options based on KPI’s, in particular capital, operating, transportation, and other costs across the full supply chain. For highest ranking candidates, conduct trade studies, develop and simulate impact of algorithms that optimize total costs across the Amazon supply chain for storage, movement, transportation, and handling of goods.
4. Validate the ability of proposed solutions to flex in response to changes in demand, such as peak periods, shifts in product mix, enhanced customer service, and the ability for controls to adapt to unforeseen events that cause stoppages in flow.
5. For selected options, working jointly with internal and external development teams, define and document functional requirements for hardware and software components, information system and infrastructure architecture and standards. Validate consistency and completeness through simulation. Maintain configuration control over requirements and coordinate change process across teams.
6. Create and direct master plan integrating detailed plans which each are the responsibilities of the contributing functional teams. The master plan includes product and system development, testing, piloting, through implementation in scale. Track and report progress of the integrated project to stakeholders and senior management, respond to changes in requirements, technical and operational challenges, prioritizing tasks and resources on most critical needs across the project.
7. Manage team of junior engineers to support development and initial full scale deployment, and develop them as a resource for deployment globally.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation