Do you enjoy helping teams find solutions to tough challenges? Are you passionate about sharing engineering best practices and driving collaboration across teams?
Away Teams are an Amazon engineering model that allows project teams to contribute features to systems owned by other teams. As an example, if the Amazon Prime team needed to make a change to a service owned by the Search team, they may use an Away Team. The Away Team Improvement Program (ATIP) is seeking a Technical Program Manager to detect, study, and evangelize best practices that improve the efficiency and success rate of Away Team projects. This program learns from teams across Amazon’s Consumer businesses worldwide and shares lessons with a community of engineers, managers, and senior leaders who are invested in the success of both the Away Teams and the systems they modify.
This role requires an in-depth understanding of software engineering practices that will guide your interaction with teams across Amazon. A successful candidate will have experience drawing data from anecdote, uncovering key insights, and influencing change.Key Responsibilities:
- Track and report on Away Team activity, success rate, and feedback.
- Build and curate a community-sourced repository of best practices and lessons learned from project outcomes.
- Dive deep into projects to document and share success and failure case studies.
- Measure the impact to both System Owners and Away Teams of best-practice approaches.
- Evaluate long-term impact (e.g. architectural roadmap acceleration, outage minutes) of Away Team code contributions.