WS Elastic Load Balancing/EC2 Networking is looking for a Software Development Manager for a critical part of its service. This team owns the data plane systems used for both customer-facing services such as NAT Gateway, Elastic File System, Load Balancers, AWS service endpoints as well as many internal AWS services. This is a balanced team of senior and junior engineers that has proven it can deliver very important features for our customers. This leader will own staffing and managing the team for a key part of the service, setting the team culture, best practices, planning, and delivering on the product roadmap. The successful candidate will be comfortable dealing with ambiguity, be very customer-centric and able to think big!
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the potential of cloud computing as well as about building great resilient, scalable and high-performance distributed services. This strong leader has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a rapid growth environment exhibiting abilities to prioritize well, communicate clearly and understand how to drive a high level of focus and excellence with a strong team. They are a seasoned, mature engineering leader who is comfortable building teams and developing staff. This person has a proven track record of building a culture centered on customer focus, efficient execution, high quality, rigorous testing, deep monitoring, and solid deployment practices. AWS in general, and this business in particular, operates at very large scale and on critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is key. A high level of ownership and accountability is a must.
This is a rare opportunity for an experienced Amazonian to join a team that is in a critical and visible area. You may have heard of us as Big Mac (https://w.amazon.com/index.php/BigMac). We are changing what networking can do for our internal and external customers, having delivered the networking components for Elastic File System and launching the NAT Gateway feature for VPC customers.
The Big Mac Data Plane team is currently working on networking solutions to solve many of the challenges of VPC for customers and internal teams. The team is delivering projects for ELB, EC2, and many other services that erase a number of customer frustrations and enable completely new concepts of inter-VPC behaviors. We are building the next generation of the network, doing so at scale, and raising the bar on testing, deployments, and isolation. We regularly work with many teams in Amazon, especially AWS, and are pushing the bar in the areas of quality, testing, and deployment practices.
With a balanced team of junior and senior engineers and a healthy operational load, this team needs your help to balance the challenges of growing the team, providing operational and technical guidance and mentoring, and delivering amazing features. It's a fun team with an exciting future -- come work hard, play hard, and change the world!
Team tenets and words we live by:
1. Raise the bar
- We will set the highest standards within AWS and the IT industry by being a leader in testing, deployment, and development practices.
- We will take pride in what we build and ensure that we hold others on the team to that exacting standard.
2. Exceed customer expectations
- We will maintain customer trust in all interactions.
- We will do what it takes to ensure that our products and services are easy to use and work as expected.
- We will solve problems that customers may not know they have.
3. Carefully and meticulously manage our service
- We will look around corners for issues before they become problems.
- We will take the time to understand the potential risks and impacts of any action we take.
4. Drive costs down
- We will look for ways to reduce our costs so we can pass the savings on to customers.
- We will avoid waste in our service and in our individual usage.
5. Execute at a sustainable pace
- We will deliver on our commitments and goals but do not expect to succeed at 100% of our goals.
- We will focus on the long term and not risk our quality or customer expectations to meet short term deliverables.
- We will share our knowledge with our peers and ensure that we have the tools, skills, and documentation to grow the team.
6. Be a team
- We will not be a collection of individuals but a team that gets to know each other and have fun together.
- We will do more as a unit than we can as a set of individuals.
- We will take the initiative to help grow the team and to efficiently onboard new team members.