Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with the home and is fundamental to enabling the dream of the smart, connected home.
We are looking for a senior multidisciplinary leader (Product and Engineering) to drive the creation of a new offering to radically simplify how manufacturers build great smart home devices. The role will lead teams of engineers and product managers building both device and cloud-side technologies.
In this role, you will combine your acumen as a consumer-focused, inventive, product-savvy engineering leader with insights into Alexa and IoT technology to lead a simplification for smart home customers. You will stretch from your experience in building embedded systems and IoT devices to deliver products/services and then drive a continuous roadmap of innovation. Your experience building cloud services for IoT devices combined with Alexa’s scale will stretch you to become a master at Amazon-scale (billions of devices) services. Your contributions will include growing and mentoring a team that includes product management, technical program management, and embedded software development engineering. This is a highly visible position in which you will frequently guide roadmap, customer experience, and engineering excellence discussions with the most senior leaders in the Amazon Devices division.
You start with the customer and work backwards. Your technical knowledge and expertise is broad and deep. You raise the bar for hiring, developing, motivating, and retaining engineering talent. You thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment where new value is delivered to customers weekly.
As a software development leader you will...
- Lead teams of software engineers in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of Smart Home capabilities of Alexa.
- Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated engineers and managers to establish teams that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
- Be responsible for ensuring sanity of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
- Work closely with other teams across Alexa and AWS to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
- Obsess over protecting customer information, maintaining single-digit millisecond latencies, and simplifying 'billions of device' IoT complexity.
- Mentor a large group of people and lead as a manager of managers with a direct handle on the pulse of each employee on your team.
- Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
- Represent your business the highest level of leadership within Amazon on a weekly basis.
You will be joining a select group of a people making history producing one of the most highly rated products in Amazon's history.