Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains; we are inventing the future. The Alexa Engine team moves toward the vision of delivering the Star Trek computer to our customers – the world’s best intelligent personal assistant, accessible via natural voice commands on any connected device. Alexa Engine API Services creates friction-less and robust mechanisms for developers to access Alexa Engine capabilities. API Services takes a high-level view of Alexa’s APIs to ensure consistency and quality, and build the primitives that enable them to work together as a whole. A common set of standards and implementation decisions across our APIs will make them easier to build, and easier to consume by our development partners both inside (1P) and outside (3P) of Amazon.
We're seeking a Senior Manager, Software Development for the Alexa Engine API Services team. On a day-to-day basis, you will lead multiple teams of close-knit engineers that are incredibly technical, agile, data driven, and highly collaborative. You'll find yourself partnering across organizations with world-class technical leaders, Engineers, Technical Program Managers, Product Managers who have expertise in a wide range of disciplines.
This role is aligned to programs supporting our internal and external developer communities, enabling them to deliver delightful Alexa experiences. In this role you will be responsible for scoping and delivering large programs end-to-end. Responsibilities include ownership of a delivery program, from design to release, and managing the production launch. You will lead design/implementation efforts between internal teams and outside vendors to develop optimal solutions. You will be making appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams. After technically following complexity of features and bugs, you will be able to recommend priority of issues keeping customers in focus. You will be responsible for the career development of the direct reports.
The right candidate will possess a strong software development background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background in current technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. In this role, you will own all aspects of software planning and development, operational excellence of all the software services that you own.
As a software development leader you will...
- Lead teams of software engineers in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of the Alexa Engine API Services.
- Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated engineers and managers to establish teams that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
- Be responsible for ensuring sanity of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
- Work closely with other teams across Alexa, and Amazon to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
- Obsess over protecting customer information.
- Mentor a large group of people and lead as a manager of managers with a direct handle on the pulse of each employee on your team.
- Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
- Represent your business and operations to senior leaders within Amazon on a weekly basis.