Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with the home and is fundamental to enabling the dream of the smart, connected home.
This role reports to a single-threaded leader for the smart home group and will manage software development and engineering teams focused on enabling device makers to create world-class Alexa-controlled devices like lights, thermostats, kitchen appliances, robots, etc.
You start with the customer and work backwards. Your technical knowledge and expertise is broad and deep. You have experience designing, building, and operating public APIs at Internet scale. The systems you build support highly complex business requirements, and scale with simple and elegant solutions that are highly decoupled. You have a demonstrated capability of driving dev-ops operational excellence for Internet scale services. You've developed embedded/IoT systems. You raise the bar for hiring, developing, motivating, and retaining engineering talent. You thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment where value is delivered to customers weekly.
As Manager for Software Development you will be responsible for the invention of disruptive technologies designed to simplify customers' lives. The problem space spans embedded systems, IoT-scale (billions of devices) cloud services and low-latency, secure, and reliable, home networks.
As a software development leader you will...
▪ Lead a team of software engineers in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of a new Alexa product
▪ Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated engineers and managers to establish teams that can deliver swiftly and predictably
▪ Be responsible for ensuring sanity of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time
▪ Work closely with other teams across Alexa and AWS to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership
▪ Obsess over protecting customer information, maintaining single-digit millisecond latencies, and simplifying 'billions of device' IoT complexity
▪ Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization
▪ Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within Amazon on a weekly basis