Amazon Web Services (Database Migration Service) in Seattle, WA is seeking talented database engineers who will innovate and engineer solutions in the area of database technology.
The candidate will be working on the new AWS Database Migration Service and the new AWS Schema Conversion Tool, and will be joining the new team which is starting now. Help us revolutionize the Cloud! AWS is the fastest growing division within Amazon.
AWS Database Migration Service helps you migrate databases to AWS easily and securely. With AWS Database Migration Service, the source database remains fully operational during the migration, minimizing downtime to applications that rely on the database.
The AWS Schema Conversion Tool makes heterogeneous database migrations easy and simple by automatically converting the entire database schema and a majority of the custom code of the source database to a format compatible with the target database. Any code that cannot be automatically converted is clearly marked so that it can be manually converted.
We need individuals who are enthusiastic about applying bold new ideas to solving real-world customer problems and who are passionate about working with customers. Candidates must be able to translate customers' needs and use cases into technical innovation and robust engineering solutions on AWS.
The DBE team is actively engaged in the ongoing database engineering process, partnering with development groups and providing deep subject matter expertise input as stakeholders to design reviews, and as an advocate for bringing forward and resolving customer issues. In this role you act as the “Voice of the Customer” helping software engineers understand how customers use databases.
Candidates must have:
· Deep knowledge and experience designing and maintaining relational databases including MySQL, Oracle, Postgres or SqlServer
· Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (EC2, EBS, S3, etc.)
· Systems engineering experience, including Linux performance, memory management, I/O tuning, configuration, security, networking, clusters and troubleshooting.
· Storage engineering experience, including NAS, SAN, SSD, multi-pathing and caching.
· Experience building and maintaining complex mission-critical production database systems
· Broad awareness of customer workloads and use cases, including performance, availability and scalability
· Experience analyzing issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage.
· Experience working directly with customers, resolving database, systems and infrastructure-related issues and also providing systems architecture leadership.
· Awareness of emerging technologies and approaches in IT
· Working knowledge of relational database internals (locking, consistency, serialization, recovery paths)
· Working knowledge of at least one scripting language (shell, Python, Perl).
· Coding skills in the procedural language for at least one database engine a must (PL/SQL, T-SQL etc.)
· Proven track record of automating tasks
· Excellent communication skills.
· Consulting experience is a plus