Are you passionate about leveraging data to deliver actionable insights that impacts the daily business decisions at Amazon? Does the prospect of dealing with massive volumes of data excite you? Do you like getting "scrappy" with data to answer challenging product and customer behavior questions?
The Amazon Appstore is seeking an outstanding Data Scientist/Statistician to join the new Business Operations and Analytics team. Our team is committed to showcasing the power of data and delivering value back to our business by answering our most difficult questions. Our insights will help build the next generation of services and marketing strategies that will delight our customers. We need your help to create our data assets, then conduct the necessary and often statistical analysis necessary to derive those insights. We are responsible for this research as well as educating the business, product, marketing, and business development teams on the implementation of those insights to enable data-driven, day-to-day decision making.
Our ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, relishes working with large transactional volumes and big data, enjoys the challenge of highly complex business contexts (that are typically being defined in real-time), and, above all else, is a passionate about data and analytics. In this role you will be expected to work with business leaders to understand the problems they need to solve and design the appropriate solution. You will work closely with our business teams to leverage your expertise in data-driven decision making to guide our investment strategy. You will need to collect new data in order to produce 360 degree views of our customers, analyze the results, form strategic opinions, and then publish the data out to all interested teams. Often times, the ideal set of data will not be available and you'll have to think creatively about what is available in order to drive results.
The Appstore business constantly aspires to improve our data-driven decision making and demands that business intelligence is available in a timely, accurate, and actionable manner. As an Appstore Data Scientists/Statistician you will also be asked to partner with our data platform engineering teams to help develop and support our large-scale data collection from mobile devices, clickstream, and a variety of internal data sources. You will be responsible for designing and implementing solutions using third-party technology and Amazon solutions including cloud technologies.
· Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
· Learn and understand a broad range of Amazon’s data resources and know when, how, and which to use and which not to use.
· Interface with all internal related and ancillary teams to deliver data and analytics as requested.
· Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for secondary datasets.
· Report results in a manner which is both statistically rigorous and compellingly relevant.
· General statistical support on experimental design, exploratory data analysis, modeling, and data management
· Advanced statistical analysis and modeling using both standard and non-standard methods
· Technical review of analyses and interpretation of results going to peer review or of critical importance to our businesses and operations
· Tune application and query performance using profiling tools and SQL.
· Triage many possible courses of action in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative analysis and business judgment.