The Alexa Smart Home team is focused on making Alexa the user interface for the home. Customers love using Alexa to interact with their homes using simple commands (turn on the lights, turn down the heat) and to automate more complex interactions spanning home security, home entertainment, and the home environment. We are evolving Alexa into an intelligent, indispensable companion that helps you get the most out of the technology in your home.
We are looking for a passionate, innovative, and hard-working Software Engineer who has an eye for efficiency and a passion for making anything better and faster. You will work directly with customers to understand their needs and be responsible for designing, developing, and deploying solutions that not only delight them, but allow them to accomplish their goals in less time with fewer resources. You will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of Alexa features that are used every day by people you know.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Alexa and has a demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.
Other responsibilities include:
- Leading design and development of key system features
- Working with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
- Working in an Agile environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
- Establishing architectural principles, selecting design patterns, and mentoring team members on their appropriate application
- Be responsible for operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
- Work closely with other teams across Alexa to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
- Obsess over protecting customer information, maintaining single-digit millisecond latencies, and simplifying 'billions of device' IoT complexity.
- Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.