The Alexa Smart Home team is focused on making Alexa the user interface for the home. Customers love using Alexa to interact with their homes using simple commands (turn on the lights, turn down the heat) and to automate more complex interactions spanning home security, home entertainment, and the home environment. We are evolving Alexa into an intelligent, indispensable companion that helps you get the most out of the technology in your home.
We are looking for an innovative Sr. Software Engineer who has an eye for efficiency and a passion for making systems better, faster, and more scalable. You will own overall system design and architecture, working with other senior and principal engineers on creating services which scale globally, develop new services to automate current and future natural human interface processing, and drive best practice engineering and process automation.
The ideal candidate is passionate about Alexa and has a demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to team work and a fun work environment, bias for action, strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high-performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.
As a senior leader of the team you will be responsible for leading the development and launch of core product features, have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product.
Other responsibilities include:
- Leading design and development of key system features
- Working with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
- Working in an Agile environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
- Establishing architectural principles, selecting design patterns, and mentoring team members on their appropriate application
- Be responsible for ensuring the scalability of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
- Work closely with other teams across Alexa to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
- Obsess over protecting customer information, maintaining single-digit millisecond latencies, and simplifying 'billions of device' IoT complexity.
- Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
- Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within Amazon on a weekly basis.