Inventory Planning and Control (IPC) is seeking an experienced Research Science leader. IPC owns Amazon’s global inventory planning systems - we decide and optimize what, when, where, and how much we should buy to meet Amazon’s business goals and to make our customers happy. We do this for millions of items, for hundreds of product lines worth billions of dollars of inventory world-wide. Our systems are built entirely in-house, and are on the cutting edge in automated large scale supply chain planning, optimization and simulation systems. IPC is unique in that we’re simultaneously developing the science of supply chain planning and solving some of the toughest computational challenges at Amazon. Unlike many companies who buy existing off-the-shelf planning systems, IPC is responsible for studying, designing, and building systems to suit Amazon’s needs. Our team members have an opportunity to be on the forefront of supply chain thought leadership by working on some of the most difficult problems in the industry with some of the best product managers, research scientists/statisticians/economists and software engineers in the business.
We are currently looking for a motivated leader that has solid industrial research experience and management skills in inventory planning, supply chain management or relevant areas. He or she will lead the research scientist team in IPC (Buying, Removals, Assortment Optimization) where we are responsible for developing solutions to better manage/optimize worldwide inventory, while providing the best experience to our customers at the lowest possible cost. The research team is responsible for quantitative data analysis, building models and prototypes for inventory and supply chain systems, building state-of-the-art optimization algorithms. This team plays a significant role in the innovation pipeline from business needs, research work, prototyping/simulation, to implementation by working closely with a variety of colleagues in engineering, product management, operations, retail, finance, etc.
As the leader of the research team, he or she will play an integral part in Amazon's inventory planning platform with the following technical and leadership responsibilities
- Interact with engineering, operations and business teams to develop an understanding and domain knowledge of operational processes, system structures, and business requirements.
- Apply domain knowledge and business judgment to identify opportunities and quantify impact
- Come up with strategies with quantitative modeling and mathematical optimization to enhance existing and develop new inventory planning algorithms and strategies
- Apply advanced mathematical and heuristic optimization techniques to design scalable, optimal or near-optimal solutions
- Create prototypes to test devised solutions and leverage in-house simulation platforms for high-fidelity validation
- Work closely with engineers to integrate the prototypes into production systems using standard software development tools and methodologies
- Leverage policy evaluation platform to track the actual performance of a devised solution in production systems, identify areas with potential for improvement and work with internal teams to improve the solution with new features
- Mentor research scientist team members for their career development and growth
- Be data-driven, details driven and frequently audit the quality and scalability of solutions during the research process
- Be efficient in aligning research direction to business requirement and make the right judgment on research project prioritization
- Effectively advocate technical solutions to business stakeholders, engineering teams, as well as executive level decision makers
- Excel in evaluating the skill sets of candidates to make successful hiring decisions to meet business needs.