We are a startup within one of the fastest growing and most strategic parts of Amazon. Vertical Ad Programs owns the technology roadmap and global P&L for customizing our self-service advertising products to support strategic product verticals. Since starting with books in 1994, Amazon has expanded to over 35 product verticals. We have maintained a strong growth trajectory over the years by obsessing over our Customer’s experience, improving selection, and lowering prices - the growth flywheel that is at the core of Amazon’s strategy. Self-service advertising is core to Amazon’s growth, as it helps our suppliers drive awareness, consideration, and purchase of their products by hundreds of millions of consumers around the world, and generates revenue which helps us lower prices and invest in improvements to our customer experience. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily, and are breaking fresh ground to create innovative, world-class products. We are a highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
We are looking for a seasoned technical leader to grow our Vertical Ad Programs engineering organization into a world-class team of software engineers. You and your team will own the technical vision and direction for adapting our self service advertising platform to the requirements of strategic categories. You will own the day to day maintenance and evolution of systems that serve the needs of our large and growing base of advertisers, and working with business and product leadership, define areas where your team will build new features to address key opportunities for our advertisers. You will build and own services and features specific to our advertisers, and you will also fund resources and staff away teams where it is more efficient to leverage services that already exist.
* Own technical vision and direction: You identify and mitigate risks, construct project schedules, and prepare status reports; you embrace performance metrics and measurement techniques because they help you assess how well system-related services are running.
* Build and grow your team: You'll be accountable for building an engineering team that delivers results. This means you'll wear a lot of hats -- from coaching individuals, to leading technical discussions, recruiting, establishing processes, and so on. You'll be an example of Amazon's leadership principles and work to grow more leaders within your group. You will manage a fast-growing team that spans multiple locations.
* Collaborate on product direction: You’ll build and maintain strong relationships between engineering and partner disciplines (Product, User Experience, QA) to ensure that we're focused on delivering the right product for customers.
* Lead beyond your team: You will be a key leader within Amazon’s advertising organization. You will contribute to the overall growth of our product development organization. You'll share your best practices and technical acumen in order to drive technology decisions across our organization.
* Own your own shop: Our products reach hundreds of millions of customers around the world. We run operations 24x7x365 and the services your team delivers must meet high standards for operational excellence. Our teams own and operate the systems we build.
* Pragmatic and iterative in building software: you have an ability to simplify and get things done quickly with a demonstrated track record of building and delivering software and working effectively with external and internal teams.
* Highly analytical and data-driven: You solve problems in ways that can be backed up with verifiable data. You focus on driving processes, tools, and statistical methods which support rational decision-making.
* Technically fearless: You aren't satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the limits past conventional boundaries. Your dial goes to '11'.
* Team obsessed: You find and cultivate talent to be capable of achieving outstanding results. You help develop the creative atmosphere to let engineers innovate, while holding them accountable for making smart decisions and delivering results.
* Comfortable with ambiguity: You're able to explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you’re quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to customers.