What do you like most about shopping at Amazon? Huge product selection? Amazon’s catalog has billions of items. Despite its mind-boggling size and variety, it remains the best in the business. That’s no accident! We use state of the art machine learning techniques and cloud computing technologies to keep it that way. A vast and high quality product catalog is a key strategic asset for Amazon that sets us apart from our competitors. Come help us make the world’s best product catalog even better and influence the way millions of customers shop.
As a software development manager within Amazon’s Selection and Catalog Systems, you will own solutions to a large set of customer-facing product catalog issues that influence critical business processes and product discovery. Our work is at the cutting edge of machine learning/information retrieval algorithms and big data analytics. We leverage the best of what AWS (Amazon Web Services) has to offer utilizing TensorFlow, Theano, mxnet, to name a few and push it to its limit with cuDNN and TensorRT on GPU instances. Here is a taste of incredibly captivating questions that you, as a leader, will be asking yourself almost every day:
· How do we process datasets (in excess of billions of records and hundreds of TB in size) that continue to increase at an incredibly fast rate with even fewer computing resources?
· How do we keep raising the bar on the reach of our automated solutions to reduce/eliminate manual fixes to the catalog?
· How do we adapt appropriate algorithms from machine learning and information retrieval to solve customer-facing problems?
· How do we make sure that you always get relevant results when you search for products on Amazon?
If you like to answer these questions and are excited about using machine learning, information retrieval and cloud computing to solve highly visible, fast evolving, ambiguous problems, then this position is for you. In this position you will directly manage software development managers and technical program managers, and lead multiple teams to create and manage systems and applications. Responsibilities include direct management of managers, strategic planning, driving application design, technical architecture and project management across multiple teams. Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can establish strong relationships with business stakeholders, prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a track record of leading teams delivering and managing successful business applications.
The candidate must show success in managing the careers of direct-reports, including making great hiring decisions, setting team and individual performance goals, tracking individual and team progress and performing yearly reviews. Candidates must also have an operational focus, experience in designing and evaluating system metrics, evaluating system performance, and scaling systems.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent judgment
• Hires and develops great people
• Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
• Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
• Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
• Strong results orientation
• Thinks big