Are you an all star software development engineer with a passion for applying state-of-the-art computer science and machine learning to solve real world problems that directly impacts millions of people? Are you up to the task of delivering innovative and scalable technology that manages automated classification of millions of products involving hundreds of thousands of suppliers and tens of millions of customers around the world?
We tackle some of the most complex challenges in the industry today to create intelligent algorithms to automatically identify and control hazardous or controlled substances products to make sure that we protect the safety of Amazon customers, partners and employees, while continuing to offer the Earth’s biggest selection of products. You will need to build Amazon scale applications running on our Cloud that both leverage and create new technologies to process large volumes of data that derive patterns and conclusions from the data.
As a Software Development Manager within Amazon’s Classification group, you will own solutions to a large set of customer-facing product catalog issues that influence critical business processes and product discovery. Our work is at the cutting edge of machine learning/information retrieval algorithms and big data analytics. We leverage the best of what AWS (Amazon Web Services) has to offer (Elastic Map Reduce, Dynamo DB, Red Shift, Simple Work Flow to name a few) and push it to its limit. Here is a taste of incredibly captivating questions that you, as a leader, will be asking yourself almost every day:
· How do we process datasets (in excess of billions of records and hundreds of TB in size) that continue to increase at an incredibly fast rate with even fewer computing resources?
· How do we keep raising the bar on the reach of our automated solutions to reduce/eliminate manual fixes to the catalog?
· How do we adapt appropriate algorithms from machine learning and information retrieval to solve customer-facing problems?
If you like to answer these questions and are excited about using machine learning, information retrieval and cloud computing to solve highly visible, fast evolving, ambiguous problems, then this position is for you. In this position you will:
· Lead a motivated team of software engineers to architect, develop, test and deploy high quality software solutions with persistent customer focus.
· Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments. Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment.
· Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
· Build and maintain inter team relationships on your team’s behalf. Be the evangelist and point of contact for your team.
· Manage departmental resources: hiring, mentoring, career management and maintaining a high performing team.
· Develop the long-term strategy for your programs and translate that into an achievable road map. About you:
You are a motivational people manager who cares about people and who has led engineering teams in the areas of large scale data processing and/or machine learning. You thrive on solving problems; have good problem-solving skills and many years of hands-on software development skills. You are an excellent communicator, both verbal and written, and equally adept at communicating upwards and downwards. You are curious, love to dive deep, collect data to make well informed decisions, but use sound judgement in the face of insufficient data. You follow the latest technologies and motivate your teams to innovate. You have strong leadership qualities, and a track record of delivering great solutions.