Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
This is a management role within the Industrial Design group. The role will have two functions. Firstly, this role will manage our Industrial Design Program Management team which works across product and packaging design for all our digital hardware products. As a manager of program managers, you will set direction and be responsible for career growth of an existing team. You will be responsible for supporting our Industrial Design team and for working across the organization to understand and improve how our ID team interfaces with the rest of the organization. Secondly, as an Industrial Design Project Manager (ID PM) you, and your team, will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary team to manage the design of innovative consumer products. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment. You will be responsible for coordinating the industrial design efforts within the Lab126 Product Development Process (PDP). You will work across multiple programs helping to develop a range of consumer electronics from home to mobile, from product to accessory. The ID PM will work with the ID teams, Product Design (PD) teams, Hardware Program Managers, Product Managers and Operations to assure necessary process steps are planned and executed, and provide for smooth, reliable progress of programs against target schedules. In this role, you will;
- Manage a small (3 to 5 people) ID PM team, including day to day management, reviews, career development, and hiring when warranted
- Coordinate Product Development Process (PDP) planning for design of new product & accessory initiatives
- Take ownership of Industrial Design development schedules, communicating status to project and executive teams, and overall coordination of design activities relative to cross-functional teams
- Support the industrial design team in defining and communicating design standards, and coordinate approving designs and production samples against those standards
- Support the industrial design team in logistics related to the design process such as model orders, travel planning, meeting planning, and design review documentation
- Support coordination of resources across Industrial Design team initiatives