Amazon Selection and Catalog Systems (ASCS) is part of the eCommerce Selection Systems at Amazon and builds and manages the backend systems that host the massive Amazon catalog and the tools to manage it. It is at the heart of Amazon's business. The scale and performance challenges being encountered have no precedence elsewhere, requiring us to constantly innovate cutting edge solutions. Amazon's sizzling double digit growth in business ensures that there is never a dull moment!
Amazon's E-commerce Services are highly available, mission critical services, handling a very large number of transactions, and have a direct impact on the customer experience. If you are excited about the opportunity to learn and work on large scale distributed systems, enjoy solving complex problems, and define and drive operational efficiency programs (Infrastructure/Compliance), here is your opportunity. You are going to change the way that the organization plans, buys and deploys precisely the amount of hardware required to remain best in class.
We are looking for the sort of hands on leader who can help us grow in a cost effective manner without sacrificing our excellent customer experience. This cross cutting role involves direct engagement with business partners in Finance, Fleet Management, AWS EC2, and many other key organizations within the company to help manage scaling, hardware lifecycle management and hardware efficiency. Person will drive the optimization and operational excellence programs which focus on improving Availability, Performance, Efficiency, and reduction of cost of operations/services.
Your mission will be to:
- Decrease Hardware spending - Working directly with teams with the highest spending, help determine code, test, and optimize the largest fleets for cost efficiency.
- Decrease spending across the org - Through new training programs, quarterly team goals, and infrastructure tools, help each individual team within the department decrease spend. For example, “right-sizing” EC2 hosts.
- Help teams Accurately Estimate and Plan Spend - Aid the teams in accurately estimating and creating spending plans.
- Report Monthly – Produce Platform Excellence reports monthly on IMR progress and wins.
Responsibilities will include:
- Orchestrate and drive Operational Excellence and Efficiencies programs.
- Setting up / defining processes and continuous improvement which would include working with various internal teams (e.g. Service Owner, Support Engineers, Hardware Infrastructure Planning and Finance teams, Infrastructure Operations and Global Program Management Teams) to help drive tools and process improvements.
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management and make tradeoffs; encourage risk-taking behavior to maximize business benefit; identify inter-dependencies between concurrent IT projects to prevent downstream problems.
- Run regular project triage, ensuring all customers and stakeholders are engaged and informed.
- Develop and publish project plans and deployment timelines.