Amazon.com strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them a fast paced, technologically sophisticated and friendly work environment.
As the Director of Strategic Initiatives for the Central Economics team you will help identify, articulate, and drive some of the most impactful cross-team initiatives at Amazon to completion. You will facilitate Central Econ consulting services with other teams inside of Amazon to deploy solutions to some of Amazon’s biggest problems. Finally, you will work with world-class scientists and engineers to deliver prototypes against speculative big-bet initiatives. OBJECTIVES
In this position, you will work with the Central Econ and/or partner teams to identify / articulate product vision for strategic initiatives - including PR FAQ, any necessary modeling and/or POCs. You will then be responsible for driving a portfolio of strategic initiatives to completion. This will include management of alignment across partner teams, goal setting / prioritization, cross-team commitments, scheduling, project execution, and measurement against initiative level success criteria. For some of these initiatives you will directly or indirectly manage resources on the Central Econ team for the execution of the projects. The goal of this is to increase the organizational alignment, speed, impact, and volume of these cross-team initiatives.
You will also streamline the consulting services of the Central Econ team by organizing process, accounting for impact, and managing team resources / time. You will consult with partner teams on discovery of issues and implementation of proposed solution with the goal of increasing the impact / efficiency of the consulting service.
In addition, you may work externally with 3rd party businesses on customer development of exploratory business initiatives and/or external scientists on delivery of “Swing for the Fences” prototypes / disruptive innovations.
You will represent the Central Econ team in senior leadership meetings to discuss the rationale, status, requirements, and impact of each of the above. SUCCESS CRITERIA
Success will be measured through a combination across the three functions:
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Strategic Initiatives / Products: Each Product Initiative will have well defined KPI measurements of execution and impact
- Consulting Criteria: Cost Savings, Revenue Creation, Strategic Impact, Econ Team Efficiency Gain
- 3rd Party Big Bets: Targets Set for Successful Validation / Prototypes of Incubation Efforts
- Track record for building and managing strong process with successful execution
- Track record of delivering innovation to market
- Proven product experience and ability to engage in identifying and driving overall business objectives, and translating those objectives into engineering priorities
- Steady career progression with a good amount of time in the trenches of product development
- Experience managing cross-disciplinary teams including science, engineering, and business disciplines
- Particularly strong oral and written communication skills along with a proven ability to influence others internally and externally
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and resourceful in achieving success in the face of ambiguity while prioritizing and managing multiple responsibilities
- Combination of large and small companies is considered ideal with experience in entrepreneurship
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Has relentlessly high standards
- Agile and experimental
- Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
- Thinks big and has convictions
- Results oriented
- Has the innate ability to inspire passion in others
- Hires great people. Develops great people
econjobs Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation