Are you the sort of person who has big ideas and the irresistible drive to bring them to life? Do you have a years-long track record of innovation and success visualizing and building solutions to new consumer challenges? Are you part designer, part coder and part entrepreneur who is never at a loss for ideas? Are you a creative digital visionary who wants to see your prototypes turned into products that reach millions of consumers? If you’ve answered yes to these questions, we’d like to talk to you.
UX Lab is the advanced concept design team within Amazon's Device and Services Design Group. Our mandate is to investigate, create, and share experiences that flow out to Amazon product teams. We’re a think / make environment, driven to answer the why and how customers experience products or services. Working with Amazon business and technology partners, we use design and prototyping to guide early product development, bring greater clarity to engineering goals, and develop a UX-grounded point of view.
The UX Lab is seeking a highly motivated Manager, Design Technologist who is looking for a chance to help define and drive user experience design focused technology solutions that will deliver on Amazon’s Software and Services vision. You will be part of a small and nimble team that uses software and hardware prototyping methodologies to demonstrate new end-to-end experiences for our customers. Your primary role is driving conceptualization and prototyping of new product concepts, focused on inventive uses of existing technologies.
As a key member and manager of the team, you drive and deliver prototypes on a number of key platforms and technologies to define and deliver new product concepts. You’ll be asked to envision new ways of stitching together existing technologies in ways that either improve existing product lines or open up entirely new areas. You’ll work closely with key stakeholders in design, development and PM and senior partners in the organization. As a manager, you will be expected to personify the role of design technologist (aka creative technologist) day in and day out, and serve as an example to your team.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Ability to conceive and execute product visions using a rapid prototyping model, both in software and hardware.
- Good understanding of various platforms and technologies (Android, Arduino, Rasberry PI, Java, Python, AJAX, C++, and others) to create prototype and reference code for proof-of-concept, demonstration and testing of solutions which combine existing technologies in new and novel ways.
- Fearless willingness to dive deep on new technologies as required.
- Work with design leadership and key stakeholder to realize prototypes that feel real, explain and prove user concepts for next generation experiences. Prototypes will range rapid to more shippable to code, including a wide range of prototypes that evolve with our development and delivery processes.
- Help develop, implement and evangelize a process that allows design and development to work closely together on rapid iteration of design concepts.