Do you want to change the world? Alexa and Echo are literally shaping the future of voice recognition and cloud-based content/services. Alexa is the name of the Amazon cloud service and the brain that powers Echo, the award-winning and groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. Echo connects to Alexa, to provide information, answer questions, play music, read the news, check sports scores or the weather, and more—instantly. It's hands-free, and always on. All you have to do is ask.
To achieve this, we blend of a variety of disciplines (such as NLP, data mining, machine learning, big data, semantic web, graph stores, cloud computing) in an effort to understand our customers and the things they're excited about. To complement our complex algorithms and extensive data analyses, we create elevated and inspirational mobile and web features across the entire Echo system. We use artificial intelligence, data mining and usability studies to develop new features, and we test them through hundreds of R & D experiments a year. We want to make it easy for you to search for your favorite products, discover new brands you’d like, play your favorite songs or even replenish your fridge - and much, much more!! We are also incredibly intent on solving some of the most complex computing problems to be found in industry and academia, and we get to test our solutions in the real world every day. And most importantly, we relentlessly ask: "What haven't we thought of yet?"
On a day-to-day basis, you will lead an organization of close-knit engineers that are incredibly technical, agile, data driven, and highly collaborative. You'll find yourself partnering across organizations with world-class technical leaders, Engineers, Research Scientists and Data Analysts, PhDs and industry veterans who have expertise in a wide range of disciplines. You’ll help analyze customer behavior, propose innovative ideas and solutions, implement big things, and then measure the results. Engineers on our team love to break things to see how they work, iterate and fail fast, improve on what works, discard what doesn't, and learn from both. And we love to have fun! We gather often for social events, and we regularly get out of the office (rain or shine) to discover new things outside of work.
If you're as passionate as we are about making Alexa and Echo increasingly awesome for our customers, we'd love to chat with you! We're seeking highly talented, driven and motivated technical leaders with big ideas, who are also obsessed with finding new, intuitive, and engaging ways to interact with our customers. We also know submitting online applications can be impersonal, so feel free to contact us directly and learn more: discover-alexa-jobs (@) amazon.com. We can’t wait to hear from you!
You will be joining a select group of a people making history producing one of the most highly rated products in Amazon's history.
In this role, as a Manager on the Alexa Engine team, you will own all aspects of software planning and development, focusing on Alexa personalization.
As a software development leader you will...
- Lead a team of software engineers in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of the Personalization capabilities of Alexa.
- Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated engineers to establish teams that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
- Be responsible for ensuring sanity of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
- Work closely with other teams across Alexa, and Amazon to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
- Obsess over protecting customer information.
- Mentor and lead as a manager with a direct handle on the pulse of each employee on your team.
- Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
- Represent your business and operations to senior leaders within Amazon on a weekly basis.