Have you ever thought about helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies?
Amazon Web Services is a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. We are building some of the largest and most complex distributed systems in the world, and we need world class people to help us implement and operate them.
We provide organizations with building block web services that allow them to innovate faster and operate their software more cost-effectively. These services-in-the-cloud include on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, querying of structured data, message queuing, and more.
The AWS team is building and delivering the next generation of cloud computing that supports public AWS offerings like S3, EC2, and CloudFront. We are innovating new ways of building massively scalable distributed systems.
We have high standards for our computer systems as well as our employees: our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, and must function at massive scale; our employees are super smart, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with. On a “typical” day, support engineers might deep dive to root cause a customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss radical new approaches to automate operational issues. We are looking for a seasoned Support Engineer to join our energetic, fast-moving and passionate team.This is an opportunity to operate and engineer systems on a massive scale, and to gain top-notch experience in cloud computing. You'll be surrounded by people who are wickedly smart, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class service is critical to customer success. You'll become a master at AWS Services platform diagnosis, response, measurement, and automation. You will design and build the operational scalability that sustains the platform's insane growth. You will measure your success and it will be visible.
You should have or be most of the following:
- Experience running and maintaining a 24x7 Internet-oriented production environment, preferably across multiple data centers, involving (preferably) hundreds of machines
- Demonstrable expertise around specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools, and software management tools for 24x7 environments
- A solid grasp of networking fundamentals, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers, switches, routers, etc.
- Familiar with the challenges surrounding efficient operations and failure mode analysis in large complex distributed systems
- Ability to lead as a team technical leader on AWS Supported services and emulated by other Support Engineers. Act as a subject matter expert for one or more AWS Services in the Core Engineering team.
You will be expected to deliver on these kinds of things in the first six to twelve months on the job:
- Through participation in all phases of the development of a large distributed system; providing hardware, manageability, operability and performance perspectives on all aspects of the system
- Define and/or refine hardware requirements and selected designs, balancing raw up-front dollar cost with operability and TCO, from the data center infrastructure up specify and participate in the development and delivery of operability-related features such as system health monitoring, diagnostics, repair, and other self-healing automation
- Develop or further existing application and system management tools and processes that reduce manual efforts and increase overall efficiency
- Adapt and improve operations management systems and processes to accommodate rapid and increasing growth in systems and traffic
- Participate in the design and execution of production acceptance tests and new hardware evaluations
- Maintain fleet inventory management, including producing, maintaining, and evolving capacity plans for various components
- Monitor the health of the fleet, automating system health, maintenance tasks, and reporting systems as needed
- Perform various system maintenance tasks (your hands get dirty here), including configuration of new machines
- Manage directly assigned tasks and on-call duties gracefully
Successful candidates will join a world-class engineering team, provide troubleshooting and operations support, and innovate to replace operational tasks with scripts and code.