Amazon has a history and tradition of leading the world in Web-related technologies and services. Since 2006 Amazon Web Services (AWS) has been exposing key infrastructure services to businesses in the form of web services, which has become widely known as cloud computing. On top of that, we build the Relational Database Service (RDS) and the Database Migration Service (DMS). RDS makes managing databases in the cloud easier than anyplace else in the world, managing provisioning, backup, alarming, monitoring, and scaling for our customers. DMS makes it easy to get our customers databases into the cloud.
You now have an opportunity to join our team as we help existing and new cutting edge businesses take advantage of RDS and DMS. We have an opening for an Operations Engineering Leader who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced, and creative environment.
RDS Operations Engineering is continually innovating, developing, and maintaining critical support related tools and services designed to ultimately improve our customers’ experience with our industry leading services. In addition, we provide second level technical support to a wide range of external customers. We are seeking a Director of Operations Engineering with strong operational, leadership, customer, project management and technical skills to lead a team of developers, system engineers, and support engineers responsible for relentlessly driving to improve the experience for RDS customers and building and deploying support related tools. As a Director of RDS Operations, you’ll work very closely with the RDS development service teams and our first level support organization, build relationships and operational processes, and represent the voice of our customers within the RDS services organization.
You and your team will:
· Oversee the rigorous operations management of all worldwide RDS Services
· Operate the largest database fleet in the world
· Build tools to re-mediate recurring problems
· Build automation frameworks to build more AWS Regions for RDS and DMS quickly, safely and efficiently
· Build relationships with all dependent or depending AWS service development teams and drive all escalated technical issues through to a resolution either within Operations Engineering or with the assistance of the services teams
· Determine appropriate key support related measurements and gather data used to determine project priorities with Operations Engineering and the other AWS services teams
· Drive support related development projects to efficient completion
· Design and develop code and tools for all engineers in the RDS division to use to produce better code faster and safer
· Develop the testing automation system, service-crossing integration tests, performance testing frameworks, regression testing frameworks and metrics for all of those items
· Design, develop, deploy and maintain the operations and capacity consoles which operate and monitor the fleet
· Onboard and certify new instance types, new operating systems, security patches so that the RDS service teams can effectively use them
· Work with the AWS hardware and operating systems teams to prepare for and co-design new hardware and software so that RDS databases run effectively on them
· Develop and maintain deployment technologies that take code safely all the way from each developer's desktop to all the machines in the worldwide RDS fleets
· Champion and advocate for customer requirements within not only RDS and DMS but across all AWS services that touch relational databases
· Maintain a world-wide "follow-the-sun" rotation of engineers who handle urgent operational or security issues
· Maintain metrics for all of the above work, set goals for the next stages of the work and justify both current and future resources and directions with executive management regular
· Hire and develop a multi-level team of managers and engineers
· Work with some of the leading technologists around the world