The Home Innovation Team is a new group of seasoned engineers, product managers, designers and scientists DETERMINED to redefine how our customers purchase products for their home. We believe that the objects that we choose to surround ourselves with have a huge impact on our quality of life. Not only they need to be useful, but they need to be beautiful, reflect our style, bring joy and make us proud. In addition, some of these products are also the largest purchases our customers make after their home and car, therefore we must provide them with the right information/experiences to help them make the right decisions and bring comfort in purchasing the products online.
THE CHALLENGES WE WILL TACKLE
As with every project within Amazon, we work backwards from our customer's needs and the challenges they have. Our team will tackle some of the toughest problems in retail:
- Simplify the purchase experience for large items in a customer's home and remove all stress from that process. Purchasing furniture will be as easy as purchasing a book.
- Inspire our customers with beautiful experiences and relevant products.
- Personalize customers' search and shopping experiences to help them find useful products that match their preferences and styles. These preferences will be automatically inferred or directly declared by our customers. Amazon will be a trusted resource during all life events.
- Provide expert advice and information to help guide our customers in their decision making process.
In order to achieve our vision, we think big and tackle technology problems that are cutting edge. Where technology does not exist, we will build it. Where it exists we will need to modify it to make it work at Amazon scale. As the problem is so wide and the team new, we need members who are passionate and willing to learn:
- Image processing and augmented reality. Imagery and deep experiences are an important factor in our success. If you are passionate about this area, join us.
- Amazon scale systems. All our technology needs to work at Amazon scale, serving hundreds of millions of customers with millisecond level latencies.
- Big data & analytics. Amazon is data driven and a strong data backbone is necessary in our systems. We build upon core AWS services such as EC2, S3, DynamoDB, etc. If you are interested in learning or gaining expertise, join us.
- Personalization and machine learning. All technologies will be used in experiences adapted to what customers need, want or prefer. We will be working with advanced machine learning technologies to tackle these problems.
- User interface & web development. We will create beautiful and dynamic front-end experiences that require deep knowledge of relevant technologies such as AngularJS, JQuery, Horizonte, AUI, etc.
OUR CULTURE AND YOU
We are a tightly knit group that share our experiences and help each other succeed. We love hard problems and like to move fast in a growing team and changing environment. We use data to guide our decisions and we always push the technology and process boundaries of what is feasible on behalf of our customers. The most successful members of our team are obsessed with helping our customers in creative ways, bring clarity to ambiguity through data driven experimentation and have bias for action. If that sounds like an environment you like, join us.
You will be a senior software development engineer. Senior engineers in Amazon play a pivotal role in setting technical direction, delivering complex platforms and driving a culture of technical excellence. Specifically, we are looking for someone who can:
- Drive the technical agenda for our image processing and augmented reality investments.
- Make smart design decisions, write solid code and build the cornerstones of our key platforms.
- Mentor our more junior engineers and drive technical and operational excellence in everything we do.
- Build end-to-end experiences for our customers, across multiple Amazon sites.
- Integrate & reuse the existing Amazon services to build fast and at scale.
- Be a role model of creativity in solving complex technical and design problems.
- Work closely with the business team to help with ensuring we have the right products for our customers.