Android Software Development Engineer
ComiXology, has revolutionized the comic book and graphic novel industry by delivering a cloud-based digital comics platform that makes discovering, buying, and reading comics more fun than ever before.
We are looking for a Android Engineer to join our mobile Android development team to help us undergo a refactor of our current Android and Kindle Fire/Fire Phone apps. In this role you will have the opportunity to contribute significantly to the future of comiXology on the Android platform. Your responsibilities will include defining the future architecture of our platform, providing technical and product expertise, and mentoring and guiding the developers to the promised land. This is a tremendous opportunity to join the team at the beginning of a new adventure. We promise you will not be bored; in fact your efforts will directly impact our millions of users who rave about our products as much as we do. What You’ll Do:
· Work with a team of software engineers in the design, development, and testing of the comiXology Android and Kindle apps.
· Work closely with the leadership team to define roadmap and development plans
· Help define and implement standards and promote best practices for the Android development team
· Tackle daily challenges with your creative problem solving recommendations
· Contribute knowledge to the rest of the team and the organizationWho You Are and What You Do:
· 4+ years experience working with the following technologies:
o Java and the JDK
o Extensive knowledge of the Android Developers Kit
o Advanced Android UI Skills (Fragments, Custom view components)
o Writing multi-threaded apps
o Eclipse, IntelliJ or Android Studio
o Application submission/provisioning process
o Debugging and analysis skills using ADB
o Amazon Mobile SDK (Kindle Fire, Fire Phone)
· Proficiency in object oriented development and ability to apply OO concepts
· Excellent interpersonal, business management, time management, and developmental skills.
· Experience with version control – Git preferred
· Demonstrated ability to meet or beat assigned targets and deadlines under normal circumstances, and ability to make trade-offs and when needed to optimize outcome when conditions change
· Ability to communicate with other employees in the company in both technical and non-technical roles.
· Degree in computer science or equivalent degreeWould Be Great, But Not Required:
· Have designed and developed a complete Android app from top to bottom
· Have worked with OpenGL or the NDK and high performance graphics code
· Web Services experience as it relates to mobile apps
· Solid understanding of Android UI paradigms from Gingerbread to Lollipop and Amazon Mobile SDK (Kindle Fire, Fire Phone)
· Experience with protocol buffers
· You tell great jokes
· You enjoy Bagel Breakfast Wednesdays
· You have some experience developing for other mobile platforms (iOS, Windows Phone, etc.)
· You’re a fan of comics!
· Are an inspiration for innovation About Us:
ComiXology, an Amazon.com, Inc. subsidiary (NASDAQ:AMZN), has revolutionized the comic book and graphic novel industry by delivering a cloud-based digital comics platform that makes discovering, buying, and reading comics more fun than ever before. ComiXology’s Guided View reading technology transforms the comic book medium into an immersive and cinematic experience, helping comiXology become a top ten grossing iPad app in 2011 and 2012 and the top grossing non-game iPad app in 2012 and 2013. Offering the broadest library of comic book content from over 75 publishers – and independent creators as well – comiXology will not stop until everyone on the face of the planet has become a comic book fan.
comiXology is an EEO/AAP employer.