When a defect is found during the fulfillment process, it is incredibly hard to find the source of the defect and correct the problem. For example, you may find a phone in a shelf that should have a toy. Our software figures out how that happened, whose mistake it was, and what the right way to resolve the defect is. Our systems decide if we should update records to say that the shelf has a phone or if we should find the location where the phone is supposed to be and keep it there. Our services and systems also ensure that this event does not impact other processes or customers!
The solution to this problem involves complex graph and non-relational data models, very large scale graph traversal, heuristics, multi-device user interfaces, workflow engines, machine learning, image processing and more.
Our team, the Inventory Quality team, solves the problem of finding root causes of defects and automatically resolving defects to reduce the occurrence defects in the longer term. Our solutions invert the man-machine paradigm so that machines make decisions to allow people to do work correctly. This problem space is worth hundreds of millions of dollars and involves designing multiple services and solutions from grounds up.
Every one of the millions of packages Amazon ships every day affects a customer. The quality of the delivery experience will decide whether the customer is delighted with Amazon, or whether they will choose to shop elsewhere. To be able to ship packages, Amazon has to accurately get items from vendors and sellers. Our systems intelligently handle exceptions in the fulfillment process. This is critical to Amazon's success: every aspect of the order fulfillment process interacts with our software, from supply chain planning to the application of the shipping label.
We are looking for talented software engineers to help build fast, scalable systems for solving problems. So what should you expect from this role? In this role -
- You will build new software services and tools from scratch and improve existing systems
- You will create simple solutions for complex business problems.
- You will work closely with business, physical processes, and operations to optimize systems and processes
- You will design and implement scalable solutions and solve complex problems
- You will be working with other extremely smart engineers
- You will learn how to build robust solutions that operate at Amazon scale
- You will have the opportunity to design systems, take mission critical decisions on how we design production systems, what technology to use and how to solve problems.
- You will operate in a set of interconnected small teams of engineers to build solutions that impact Amazon's customers around the world.
- You will get opportunity to work with senior technical leaders to review and improve your designs and solutions
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer - F/M/V/D